Programs for Parents with Baby blues
Are you dealing with Baby blues (postpartum depression)?
Life with a new baby is not always what you expect. If your are not feeling like yourself, feeling sad, overwhelmed and irritable, the Postpartum Adjustment program offers a range of services to help new moms, dads, and families to adjust to their life with a new baby.
To speak to someone, call 519-337-3701 and ask for the Postpartum Team.
Life with Baby Child Check.pdf (204 kB PDF)
Signs to Look For
While most parents experience a range of emotions, 1 in 5 mothers will experience some degree of Postpartum Depression (also referred to as Postpartum Mood Disorders) following the birth or adoption of a baby. Parents experiencing Postpartum Depression may:
- no interest or pleasure in activities they use to enjoy
- not feel like a good mother
- feel hopeless, frustrated or alone
- have repeated scary thoughts about the baby
- not feel like themselves
- feel sad, exhausted yet unable to sleep
- overwhelmed and unable to concentrate
- restless, irritable or angry
With support, most parents experiencing postpartum depression recover. The Postpartum Adjustment Program can help by providing non-judgmental, individualized and accessible services that include:
- linkages to other services offered by St. Clair Child & Youth Services such as infant massage, Make-The-Connection, infant development services as well as services offered in the larger community such as Ontario Early Years Centres and Public Health
- information sessions for fathers, partners, family members and friends
- information on issues related to the postpartum period, including postpartum depression
- screening for postpartum depression
- supportive counselling
- individual and family counselling
- support groups
- advocacy in the community
Links and Other Websites:
- The Best Start Resource Centre's Postpartum Mood Disorder Campaign: www.lifewithnewbaby.ca
- Mental Health Helpline: www.mentalhealthhelpline.ca
- Pacific Postpartum Support Society: www.postpartum.org
- The Post Partum Stress Center: www.postpartumstress.com
- Post Partum Progress: www.postpartumprogress.com
- Healthy Start, Healthy Future: www.lifewithababy.com
Offices at Main Campus - 129 Kendall Street, Point Edward, ON. Services are also offered in the family's home as well as locations in the community.
Mothers, Fathers and Families who have given birth or adopted a baby who is under the age of one.
Referral Program Main Campus - (519) 337-3701. There are no fees related to our services.